There are many societies, associations, and even journals offering awards and prizes. They recognize student researchers and research of outstanding quality then give them rewards.
Early-career recognition has several benefits and advantages. It boosts confidence and broadens connections. It also increases research visibility and impact. Student researchers get thrilled when they know their work was one of high quality. Awards make them more confident. They can address the typical trials and tribulations of graduate school easier. Society Awards help student researchers to let others know about their work. People get more informed about their research and its impact on society. Student researchers get to meet professors and expand their professional network. They can attend a conference they have never been to before. They can also see symposia about varied research they have no access to before.
Student researchers know there are very few objective markers of their success and effort. The weight of this lack of early-career recognition is heavier in graduate school. They feel that Society Awards are crucial for a successful career trajectory. Receiving an award gives them a gratifying feeling. Not only do Society Awards validate their effort but also help their career in a nontrivial way.
Different categories and criteria
Society Awards have different purposes and criteria. Some of the most common purposes include recognition of:
- Societies that do an outstanding job to communicate with the membership;
- Societies that publicize Society activities to the community and the industry;
- Societies that have remarkable service to their communities;
- Societies that are exceptional when it comes to encouraging individuals to enroll and complete their designations;
- Societies that do an excellent job in recruiting new members and maintaining current members;
- Societies that have superb recognition of new designation holders and outstanding members;
- Societies that have amazing membership involvement in Society operations and activities; and
- Societies with stellar performance or activities not covered by other award categories.
Society Awards motivate and inspire people to do better. They also serve as tokens that mark a successful achievement. A notable Society Award for contributions to society also adds to a great reputation. It is an award coveted by many.